Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Book Thief

Our Book Club read "The Book Thief" last month (see listings to the side of Current Reads). It was a fascinating book with a totally new writing style. The story is narrated by a figure that you quickly figure out is an angel of death, so appropriate since it takes place during Hitler's regime. The main characters are a young girl taken in by foster parents (who surprisingly turn out to be some of the most amazing people) and a young boy, her best friend. It is their story of learning, growing, struggle and triumph through our world's most horrific times. The foster father reminded me so much of my German grandfather - his integrity and quiet strength. I loved this book!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

ooh that sounds like a good book! I saw it in Chapters when I was there last and was curious about it--but I will take it out of the library!

Have you seen Slumdog Millionaire? I saw the movie, but the part of the book that I read (while *ahem* browsing in Chapters) was way better.