My Grandma & Grandpa Braun - back of the picture written by Grandpa - notice the kisses - so sweet!
Day 237 My dear maternal grandfather would be 123 years old today. This is Remembrance Day in Canada and Veteran's Day here, reminding us to never forget the sacrifices that have given us our freedoms. At 11:11 each day whenever I see the time, I remember my Grandpa...he sacrificed a lot too for his beliefs. He was forced to serve in the Russian Army, even though he would not use a rifle, then he and my Grandma fled through Russia (now the Ukraine) and Poland with only handcarts, to get away from the religious persecutions with which they were afflicted. That is when they emigrated to Canada where my Mom was born. Not having a father present in my life, made me always want to make my Grandpa proud. I remember him holding my face in his big hands and saying, "May the Lord God bless you real good," with his German accent. He has left a great legacy of faithfulness, strength, and endurance. I am proud to be his granddaughter, and honor him today. I hope I will make him proud.


No comments:
Post a Comment