Friday, June 10, 2011

Welcome little one!



Day 83

I finally finished this baby afghan for my niece Rebecca...just in time too, since the baby shower is tomorrow! My Mom crocheted the squares in a pineapple design taught to her by her sister Anne, and now it's my responsibility to carry on the tradition of giving one to each 1st child born to each of her grandchildren. Mom taught me the pattern, and I think I'll be able to carry this on. All I had to do this time was sew the squares together and do the edging. I made it a little more elaborate this time, since Becca is having a girl. Here, it has been washed, blocked and is drying out in the beautiful sunshine. The pineapple is a symbol for welcome, perfect for welcoming a new wee one into the world.

2 comments:

Anja said...

Your mom put ribbons in them, blue for a boy, pink for a girl.
We have a blue ribbon one that we cherish

Dellany Higby said...

Wow. So apparently I was way behind on all your posts. It is crazy to go back and relive all we have been through the last little bit. You have so many beautiful things written about Am and I am so glad you have a record of something each day. What a journey. I miss her so much. Legacies do live on, and this blanket here is proof. love you momma