I promised I would post our talks from the funeral service. Here is Dave's talk:
When we brought Amberly back home on Monday, I didn't bring my glasses. I went to WalMart and bought some new ones, but they're defective. They cause my eyes to water.
Amberly didn't waste any time joining our family. She arrived just 11 months after we were married. We didn't understand then what conditions may have been attached. She was excited to get here and we were delighted to have her. We soon moved to Vernal where she spent her early life. Her artistic talents started to blossom and she loved to express them. When she was 10 we moved to Sandy. Her talent in art grew and when she graduated, she had a small scholarship to go to Snow College.
I remember coming down and checking out the campus. It seemed like a wonderful place where her art and her life could flourish. It didn't take too long until she met Jason. He seemed like a nice guy, but not exactly what I had in mind. She finished a year here, and then went to Utah State and he followed her. Soon they were married and can you believe it, they moved back to Ephraim. We would visit frequently and always enjoyed being here. As children came to their family we got to see what great parents they were.
I love to get our family together and go places. I have been accused of being a trail boss when on vacation, I know I can be a little controlling, but I want everyone to have a great time. I love to spend time with my family, even my sons-in-law and my daughter-in-law. We have the greatest memories of trips to Moab. I remember when Nathan was a baby, the hikes continued as planned, with Amberly nursing as she hiked. Even last year the destinations were not altered following her surgery. Two years ago, before we knew of her condition, we all went to Lake Powell on a house boat. With all 20 of us sleeping on the top deck of the house boat, we would look up at the stars at night and watch the sun rise in the morning. We had a wonderful time and even spent some time taking about the purpose of life. This April we decided to go to St. George. There was a little hiking, some golfing, but mostly spending time at the pool, shopping and just hanging out as a family. It was great to just be together.
Amberly loved to sing and loved music. My very favorite picture in my mind is when I saw her rocking out to Stairway to Heaven as I looked in my rearview mirror. I told everyone to tune to the radio station playing it, and there she was, her thin arms in the air, smiling and rocking out for the whole long version. I will always remember it. Another favorite tradition is an annual family night at my parents' home with all the extended family singing Christmas carols. She hated missing those events. That was another reason she fought so hard...she didn't want to miss out. We all expected these times to continue. We searched for answers as to why.
A remark from Elder Boyd K. Packer may provide some comfort. He said, "It is my conviction that in the spirit world prior to mortal birth, we waited anxiously for our time to enter mortality. I also believe that we were willing to accept whatever conditions would prevail in life. Perhaps we knew that nature might impose limits on the mind, or on the body, or on life itself. I believe that we nevertheless anxiously awaited our turn."
This life is filled with many wonderful times. Many of those we have relived as we've poured through pictures and shared memories. Sometimes we experience things that we never thought would happen, things that are beyond logic or our current understanding. Thankfully we have been blessed by being surrounded by so many wonderful people. Jason has been so unselfish and loving and is remarkable with the kids. I honor him at this time, as well as honoring my daughter. My family has been such a great support. Thank you so much.
This is also a special community. We are so blessed for the never ending acts of kindness...people offering food, words of kindness and support, help with the kids, even lodging for our family. We so enjoyed the "Sanpete Gives Back" last year, and the Ward members and many special friends are amazing. Thank you so much for your service. It really is the way in which you serve the Lord.
I am so grateful to be Amberly's father. I am so proud of her. Our lives have all been blessed by her. She is a wonderful daughter, sister, mother and wife. Her zest for life and her example has set the bar high. Her suffering has ended, but her influence and memory will always be with us.
I know that the gospel is true and because of Jesus Christ we can be with her again, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
1 comment:
What a wonderful tribute to Amberly. I honestly don't know how Dave pulled it off.
Post a Comment