Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Believe and Give Thanks

This photo of what I have on a shelf in my kitchen says it all. I give thanks that the elections are over! Our choices were not wonderful anyway, as they weren't in Canada in October. The nation as a whole (or at least the strongest States) have decided, and now it is up to all of us to rally and make the best of what we have. In these economically turbulent times, I am grateful we do have the freedom to choose, and even though I don't feel like my vote counted as much as it would have if we were just counting the popular votes, I had the opportunity and obligation to cast my ballot.
I also believe that prayers count as much as votes. Whoever won would have had their hands full, and now it is up to all of us to cast our prayers heavenward for the relief, guidance and protection of this great country. I do believe that God is still mindful of us, even if so many want to keep His name out of the schools, off of our money and far from our consciences. I BELIEVE that our prayers count and are answered. I will be praying for Obama, hope you will too.

8 comments:

matt and sarah said...

I too am glad the elections are over. I couldnt stand listening to one more political discussion on tv.
You'll have to teach me how to add the tracker to my blog. I would feel a lot better if I had that and then I wouldn't feel the need to go private!

Jon, Britt & the boys said...

I too know our prayers are answered! I think Obama has provided hope to a lot of Americans and although I don't share all of the same views as he does I feel he has unified our Nation and proven that you can become something from nothing no matter who you are, your gender, race, social background, or whatever. I feel that Obama being elected was an answered prayer to many. So how does that work if we're praying for different things? :) I'm just glad Bush isn't going to be our leader anymore. Jon and I were watching this documentary on KUED on the Iraq war and some of the things that have been going on, that were instigated by Bush and his administration, are downright shocking and evil. Makes me sick... Jon says Cheney and Rumsfeld are going to burn.

So, have hope and remember that this is God's land and he is the one and only true ruler of us all. He will not forsake us.

tamrandfamily said...

Well said Aunt Barbara and Britt!! It was awesome to see the sight of so many Americans of all races,young and old united and support for Obama. I think he has united the country and I don't agree with all his views but I do feel like he has brought a new energy at a much needed time. And ultimately God is in charge!

Dellany Higby said...

I think that we all need to be very aware of our attitudes torwards things, especially politics. Things will not be getting easier anytime soon and I know that the only way we will get through it is to be positive about all the crap we go through. I have had a crappy attitude about politics and I don't feel like it does any good. To believe and give thanks takes a really wonderful attitude... yuck! Just teasing. I forgot to send you a really important email I got from some of my friends. I will do that now.

Amberly said...

I'm a little afraid about the future. Not just because Obama is our new president, but just because the whole world is so corrupt, especially in government. We all know that it's going to be tough and will get even tougher. That's why they call it the "last days". Having hope and knowing who is really in charge of everything helps a lot.

Amberly said...

Oh, and I love your pic of you and dad on the top! Cute blog!

The Meads said...

It felt as if the whole world was watching on election night. I sure was! When I see God Bless America on signs and billboards when I visit the U.S. I want to say, He has blessed America! Maybe the signs should say, Please continue to bless us! I like that Obama stressed that there are no blue or red states, just the United States... I hope he is inspired and kept safe and the nation pulls together, because whether we like it or not, the world's future is dramatically affected by whatever happens in the U.S.A. I guess with great blessings come great responsibilities.

Lauren said...

It is a good thing that the election is over! (Of course in Canada nothing is really over yet because Stephane Dion--the liberal guy--might be stepping down. AAAAHH politics are complicated). Here's hoping for the best on both sides of the border!