This is the talk I gave in Church:
Day 253I am speaking to you today about Seeing the Hand of the Lord in all things, something I have tried to do, as we have struggled to heal and understand God's plan for us, after the loss of our beloved daughter. These are the things I have come to know from our experiences:
#1 We don't always get what we want , but we always get what we need from a loving, and all-wise Heavenly Father. We have such a finite vision of the here and now - a linear way of thinking. We think we want to get from here to there, and then we will be happy, but HE wants to take us farther, from here to where He knows we can go, from here to forever. He sees all knows all, and wants us to join him in his one eternal round. He knows what we need to help us become what we are meant to be. Is it painful? Oh, yes. As founding father Thomas Paine said..."These are the times that try men's souls"...and it is so true, and it is as it should be. We are in these latter days to prove our mettle, not to have it easy, because we want to be laborers in His Kingdom worthy of our hire. We cannot expect to be exempt from the temporal and fallen conditions now on the earth. But our Heavenly Father will always be with us, if we let him. And the promise remains - we will be blessed in the way we need, and in the way Heavenly Father sees fit, blessed in ways that we may not see or comprehend until heaven. Elder Quentin L. Cook in October Conference tells us, "The Father's plan of happiness...includes not only a premortal and mortal life, but also an eternal life as well, including a great and glorious reunion with those we have lost. All wrongs will be righted, and we will see with perfect clarity and faultless perspective and understanding."
And this brings us to #2 TRUST. Trust in the Lord in all thy doings and he shall direct your paths. Prov. 3:5 All things can be turned to our good. And that is ALL things. Elder Hartman Rector Jr. stated: "The ability to turn everything into something good appears to be a godly characteristic. Our Father always seems able to do this. Everything, no matter how dire, becomes a victory to the Lord. Joseph, although a slave and wholly undeserving of his fate, nevertheless remained faithful to the Lord and continued to live the commandments and made something very good of his degrading circumstances. People like this CANNOT be defeated." Also in Romans 8:28 we are told: "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to HIS purpose." I know that this IS a part of His plan for us, so that we can learn invaluable lessons about HIM and about ourselves. When our trials seem just too hard to bear, we can bury ourselves in his bosom figuratively and emotionally, and he will give us comfort.
#3 We will receive guidance and direction! As some people may already know, not long ago I was having a horrible grieving moment in my car...actually more than a moment. In the midst of it, a thought was placed into my mind, "Do you love her more than me?" I was certainly acting like I did. This was a pivotal experience that stopped me in my tracks and gave me a new way of looking at things.
Matt. 10:37 "He that loveth father or mother more than me, is not worthy of me; and he that loveth son or daughter more than me, is not worthy of me." You have to know him and love him more than your family. YOU GIVE YOURSELF TO THE SAVIOR BY LIVING THE GOSPEL FOR HIM. Whatever is required, you give it. Sheri Dew wrote: Premortally in the most difficult of circumstances, we stood loyally by our Father and His Son, and we did not flinch. The question for us today is: How will we do it again? Elder Quentin L. Cook states: "The refiner's fire is real, and qualities of character and righteousness that are forged in the furnace of affliction perfect and purify us and prepare us to meet God."
#4 There is a Law of Compensation. Elder David B. Wirthlin "The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing ad gratitude." Richard L. Evans, stated, "He will not leave you alone, nor will He be in debt to you in the years ahead. The Lord God always compensates. This you can count on.” I know that what God must take away, He will always return to us more. Not long after Amberly passed, Dellany and Tremayne learned that they would be having a baby after 5 long years of waiting. We saw this as a miracle given to us to give us renewed hope and anticipation for the future. Zac and Taylor have gone to the Temple. Jon has found a new and better job in these economically hard times. For these things and more, we are so grateful.
#5 We have those who are on the other side helping us in their own way, with their faith and prayers.
I know this to be true, because the Spirit manifested it to me. When Amberly was having a very discouraging time, I sat down at the computer to send her an e-mail. As I started to give her some encouraging words, I felt like I should remind her that we have family members on the other side who are interested in her welfare. My Mom and Amberly were very, very close and I could picture her doing all she could for her. When I typed the words, the Spirit washed over me with a witness that yes, it was true, that those who loved us on earth, love us still, and are doing all they can. Pres. Ezra Taft Benson has told us, "The spirit world is not far away. From the Lord’s point of view, it is all one great program on both sides of the veil. Sometimes the veil between this life and the life beyond becomes very thin. This I know! Our loved ones who have passed on are not far from us."
#6 We see the hand of the Lord through other's hands who comfort us, mourn with us, and lift up the hands which hang down. From Elder Quentin L. Cook again, "Whenever tragedy occurs, we mourn and strive to bear one another's burdens. We lament the things that will not be accomplished and the songs that will not be sung." So many blessings have been given to us by loving friends and family...Elder Cook continues, " A unique challenge for those who have lost loved ones is to avoid dwelling on the lost opportunities in this life." My children have begun encouraging me in this. Dellany has given me a blessing journal. I am counting my blessings, and try to see blessings in each and every day, knowing there are blessing both seen and unseen all around us.
We need to remember from 1Corinthians 2:9, "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him."
I know that we now have a special family angel asking for blessings for us. I know that blessings will continue, and that we will be given all that we need, that we will always be guided and upheld through the hard times. I can now testify that I do love my Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ MORE than even my family, that I trust the Father's plan for me. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, my Savior and Redeemer, Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment