Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday



Day 113

St. Luke 22:41-44 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him. And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
On a hard, stone surface Christ collapses exhaustedly in the arms of an angel. The angel is down on bended knee, supporting Christ’s weight on its left knee. It’s left hand cradles his head, as the right offers a loving touch. Christ, slumped on his knees from prayer, leans against the angle as his folded hands powerlessly lay on the ground. Although Christ had to suffer this alone, without the Father, His love seems evident by the strong light shining down through the darkness of the night. Almost unable to bear the burden of mankind’s salvation, he takes rest and comfort in a greatly needed supporter. Although Christ bares expressions of sheer exhaustion and pain, he appears loving, selfless and accomplished. His comforter is empathetic and patient. Engulfed in the arms of the visitor, Christ slowly gains the strength to face his betrayer and the final excruciating act of his ultimate sacrifice. The dead, bare tree is telling of what awaits him outside the garden. Suggested by many to be one of the most powerful images of Christ suffering in Gethsemane ever created, Bloch has successfully combined hard, painful darkness with love, light and hope.

This is the beautifully meaningful and loving gift my Book Club friends gave to me. This painting had such an impact on Amberly, Jason and me when we went to the exhibit that it was chosen as our favorite. I have already given a print of it to Jason, and now I have one. I was astonished to read that Carl Bloch's wife also died at an early age, leaving him with eight children to raise. His depth of grief, I am sure, helped him to create this altar piece of such majesty and pathos. Once again, I am deeply grateful to my wonderful friends.

1 comment:

Duffin Family said...

That is a beautiful picture, and I don't think I've seen it before. I love the sentiment behind it. Even when we feel alone the Lord is right beside us and knows our pain. He suffered all for us and I am glad you have such a testimony of the gospel to get you through such a deep loss. We love you.